An Announcement, An Anniversary and A Reflection

This is just a short post to update my readers and point out a few significant events.

The first is that I am delighted to say that I have been selected to be part of the first cohort of the Holocaust Educational Trust's Regional Ambassadors. This is a brand new programme that has been introduced to coincide with the Trust's 25th anniversary this year.
Regional Ambassadors will be responsible for organising events, encouraging institutions to hear a survivor's testimony and will be able to represent all Student Ambassadors of the Trust (anyone who has taken part in the 'Lessons from Auschwitz' Project is automatically made an Ambassador). I will be covering the West Midlands area, in England. The position officially starts on Friday, 1st February 2013, and I am very much looking forward to participating in this new and exciting opportunity.

Secondly, the Trust have their own series of blogs being published over the next week, in the lead-up to Holocaust Memorial Day in a week's time. The first has been written by Professor David Cesarani, who teaches at Royal Holloway, University of London (and will be teaching me if I am able to get on to the Master's course that I wish to pursue in September of this year!). You can read his contribution here .

The final thing I would like to mention is that today is exactly 71 years since the Wannsee Conference, when Nazi officials met in Berlin to discuss details of 'The Final Solution to the Jewish Question.' This was the meeting that encouraged the more industralised style of mass murder that occurred during the Holocaust. You can take a look at this Wikipedia page to learn more about this historical event.

Tomorrow - weather permitting - I will be speaking at a Holocaust Educational Trust event in London. All being well, I will update my readers on details of the event in due course.